We can all support youth in their call for urgent climate action!
This fall, the school strike movement Fridays for Future International has called for a global climate action day on September 25th. Demonstrations and public events will take place all across the globe, all adjusted according to Covid-19 circumstances.
Here in Stratford, a youth-led intergenerational team is coordinating a “shoe strike” to show our concern for the climate crisis and call for a green and just recovery from the pandemic without gathering many people together for a rally. The shoes will take our places in front of City Hall!
Get all the details by attending our Virtual Mixer on Monday September 21st at 7pm when our guest speaker is high school student and shoe strike organizer Sammie Orr > Virtual Mixer Registration. And follow the student-run Instagram account: @ClimateStrikeStratford.
Here’s the rundown to participate on Friday September 25th:
- Grab a pair of your shoes that you can leave for a couple of hours for the strike
- If you wish, make a sign or write a note to attach or leave next to your shoes
- Between 3:00 and 3:30 PM, drop by in front of City hall, check in with volunteers, and leave your shoes and message
- Take some photos of the shoe strike to share on social media – shoes, signs, and art will be set up
- Between 6:00 and 6:30 PM, return to City Hall to pick up your shoes
- Observe social distancing and wear masks during drop-off and pick-up
- Put your name and contact info in one of your shoes in case you’re late for pick-up – we want to ensure shoes get home
We are looking into setting up a couple of advance drop-off locations for shoes for those who can’t make the 3 PM drop-off – but we still need you to pick-up your shoes between 6 and 6:30 PM. More details on advance drop-off locations soon!
Please invite your friends to participate too! And follow our @ClimateMomentum accounts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.